The Year in Review
Destination Fiordland – the year in review
2014 has been a very busy year at Destination Fiordland.
- Destination Fiordland hosted 14 Tourism New Zealand International media groups from Germany, USA, Japan, Australia, India, France and Thailand – the publications included US National Geographic, Lonely Planet Thailand, Australia TV programme Places We Go and Australia Geographic and various freelance journalists. Included in this was the Travel Classics group of top American travel writers. All of these visits resulted in some great coverage in high profile magazines and publications.
- In addition to this we hosted some unassisted New Zealand and Australian media including Life and Leisure Magazine, Sydney Sunday Herald, Australia & NZ Travel Magazine, Adventure Magazine and NZ Wilderness Magazine. The NZ wilderness Magazine visit resulted in Te Anau being voted no. 1 Tramping town in New Zealand.
- We participated in Tourism New Zealand’s trade training programme – hosting a total of 55 participants in Fiordland from the UK, Australia, New Zealand, Japan, China, Korea and India.
- We attended TRENZ 2014 and attracted pre and post TRENZ famil groups involving 13 participants from Germany, New Zealand, China, Thailand, Australia and India. We jointly hosted an invite only trade dinner with Tourism Southland in Auckland during TRENZ which was well attended by key agents from the UK and continental Europe.
- Destination Fiordland continues to be involved in the activity of the Southern Lakes International Marketing Alliance. Through this alliance Fiordland was represented with trade offshore in India, Japan, Korea, Singapore, China, UK and Switzerland. In addition we participated in Southern Lakes Inbound Operator frontline training in Wellington & Auckland and the South East Asia megafamil.
- In collaboration with Venture Southland and A to Z Publications we helped to produce the Southland/Fiordland Visitor Guide 2014 and the Southern Scenic Route brochure. Destination Fiordland also produces a dining guide for Te Anau/Manapouri. Both of these publications are available from the Destination Fiordland office.
- We started some new initiatives – the Marketing Tip, speaking opportunities, an Open Day and we completed a presentation skills workshop and we have increased our collaboration with Venture Southland with trade and media joint itineraries. We continued with our Fast Facts newsletter to members each Friday and the monthly Events Calendar and in November we launched a brand new website.
- In line with DF’s relationship with the Te Anau Community Events Charitable Trust (TACECT) there is a strong emphasis on maintaining and growing existing events, and establishing new ones. Shevaun and Sarah gave many hours in the organising of The Stabicraft Te Anau Manapouri Fishing Classic, Big 3 hunting event and Milford Mountain Classic. All of these events had a solid support base contributing back into community projects. The Te Anau Tartan Festival was also well received and will continue to be a part of the events calendar. TACECT now has items which are available to hire to community groups and individuals when running events – radio kit, EFTPOS machine, display boards and chiller trailer are available – contact the office to discuss the hire arrangements 03 249 7959.
- Destination Fiordland has received overwhelming support from its members by way of discounted or free of charge product supporting trade, media, networking and other marketing activity. This highlights the huge level of cooperation and investment the local industry willingly provides to assist us in achieving our objectives and for which we are extremely grateful.
Shevaun, Sarah and I would like to thank all of the Destination Fiordland members and the wider community for their support and commitment over the year and hope that everyone has had a great Christmas and all the best for 2015.